How do I get guess.cmd to source

7042   3   1
48 posts
I am working through the scripting section of the user guide. I transcribed the guess.cmd script and saved it to the scripts folder within houdini. When I type source guess.cmd I get a return of Can't open guess.cmd.

I tried to get a helloworld to work.. basicaly I saved this script to the scripts folder within houdini and I still get cannot open helloworld.cmd

# houdini “hello world”

echo Hello World

What am I doing wrong? I love workign with mel in maya and I have been a longtime code junkie. I realy want to see what kind of tools I can write to help with repetitive task. A few careers ago I was a director lingo CD-rom geek… In my many years of cd-rom production my personal toolkit of code was my profit margin… I am completely excited about the low level nature of Houdini and want to get my hands into the the verbosity engine. Someone please tell me how to pop the hood of this muscle car..

Thanks in Advance

Todd Dufour
Todd Dufour
——————————–
Life is as long as it is short.
——————————–
1631 posts
Hi Todd,

It's working for me. I created hello.cmd which contains

echo Hello World!

then saved it to "$HFS/houdini/scripts".

Then in the textport, I typed

/ -> source hello.cmd
Hello World!

I also transcribed the guess.cmd script & sourced it without any problems.

Do you mind sourcing the script like so?

source $HFS/houdini/scripts/hello.cmd

and

source $HFS/houdini/scripts/guess.cmd

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers!
steven
7734 posts
A more personal place to put your scripts would be $HOME/houdini5.5/scripts. That's assuming that you have setup the HOME environment variable first. Note that if you have a space in your directory name, then make sure you're using the old 8.3 DOS format of the name (which only seems to be available via the “dir /X” DOS command these days).
48 posts
I finaly figured out what was going on… I have two installs of houdini at the moment…. build 5.5.36 and 5.5.151 I was saving the scripts to the wrong houdini script folder.. Seems to work now. Thanks for your help
Todd Dufour
——————————–
Life is as long as it is short.
——————————–
  • Quick Links