debugging: examining HDK objects

2082   2   1
30 posts
i'm debugging using gdb

i just want to verify this. if i have a debug session going and there is any instanced object of a HDK object (say for example sim_object) i won't be able to see inside that object correct?

all i get at the moment is just the address of the pointer, but i can't see what's inside.

the only way is to invoke methods (for my example, sim_object, maybe i would run getIsBaked() ) and print them out.

basically when i try to load what is at the address i get an error message “unable to load memory from the specified address”
224 posts
What are you using to debug your session?
Recently had the same issue with Visual Studio 2008, but had to remove a compiler option: -Ox.

From that point on I was able to inspect my data etc.
Senior Technical Artist Guerrilla Games
31 posts
vtwinracersp2
i'm debugging using gdb

i just want to verify this. if i have a debug session going and there is any instanced object of a HDK object (say for example sim_object) i won't be able to see inside that object correct?

all i get at the moment is just the address of the pointer, but i can't see what's inside.

the only way is to invoke methods (for my example, sim_object, maybe i would run getIsBaked() ) and print them out.

basically when i try to load what is at the address i get an error message “unable to load memory from the specified address”

The HDK libraries will not be built with debug symbols so you won't be able to inspect them, that's correct. You can call functions on them and evaluate the return though, as you said.

As for your own objects, you can inspect them if you build with debug symbols enabled (-g) and optimisation turned off (as mentioned above, remove -O)
Hope that helps.
./Sven
  • Quick Links