Limit wirecapture to 1 wire

2118   2   1
789 posts
Hello all,

I am trying to use a wire capture to deform some leaves on a tree. Sometimes the leaves are pretty close to 2 branches and I get stretching. Is there a way to tell each vertex to only look at 1 wire? I tried setting the wireweights with some python (setting wireCapure w to 1 and the others to 0) but that gave really weird results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Koen
7737 posts
I don't think there's a way to do so. I think manipulating the weights in Python is the closest thing possible. When you first capture, try using a min/max weight of something odd like 0.1234 to more clearly see which entries are the weights. My guess is that you accidentally zeroed out some of the (wire) u/v values.
84 posts
now I know this is a blast from the past, but I was struggling with the same problem - for what it is worth, I solved it by

a) add a $CLASS attrib to the wires, set it to $PR
b) sort wires by $CLASS
c) transfer the $CLASS from the wire onto the geo to deform (leaves, branches etc)
d) partion geo to deform by $CLASS
e) foreach over each geo class grp, merge results
f) make your wires the second input
g) in the foreach, blast the wire input based on the $class attrib of the geo in the each (so now you have the matching pairing of wire and geo), wirecapture both
h) now you will have capture weights, were the wirecapture regn attrib refers to each prim/wire
i) wiredeform both

works fine, however took me some time to figure out the meaning of the wirecapture regn attrib

let me know if it is confusing, can maybe put up a small example

cheers, Carsten
carsten kolve - ds @ image engine
  • Quick Links