hcommand / telnet

3433   5   0
19 posts
Hi,

is the telnet abilty to remote Houdini on an openport supposed to work ?

hcommand works perfectly well on an openport, but telnet is not, on my side.

Is there something special to do ?
639 posts
I've only played with Telnet long ago once. For the most part, if I need to do remote session with Houdini, I'd much rather ssh into the machine and perform hscript session from there or run hscript file there via Hscript or Perl. Otherwise, with Telnet, your port number probably has to be high enough for it to work. So, if 1234 not work for you, try 12345. This some security thing that's either set by the sys admin or a system default. I don't know how telnet would work across the remote network, tho. But you should be fine with ssh.
4140 posts
Almost without a doubt it's a security issue. As Alex suggests, try a higher port number. You don't mention your OS - I've run some windows based telnet servers(inside applications) that require the connection to be local in order to connect - again security reasons. I honestly don't know if Houdini is like that on MS, though.

After that, start digging into any firewalls(inc SP2 if you're running it), routers, etc.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
19 posts
Can it be a security reason if hcommand works well while telnet doesnt ?

( I'm on w2k btw, I didn't tested it on linux yet, and I've deactivated the firewall )

I mean, if it was a security problem, hcommand wouldn't work as well, right ?

Another thing wich makes me wonder:

If I openport 23 - intentionaly opening the standard telnet port - I can hcommand on this port and it works well, but if I telnet on 23 I get the telnet server, as usual, like if there was no conflict. It doesn't bother houdini to openport on 23 while a telnet server is on. (!?)

I've tried opening ports like 10080, 12345, etc.. same result.
hcommand allways work, telnet never work.

Can someone confirm that, on his side, he can actualy telnet houdini on windows ?

If it's just a windows problem its ok, as we are switching to linux soon, but I'm just wondering.
7750 posts
On Windows, you can't use telnet to an openport if you're using standalone mode which basically tells Houdini to operate as if the computer had no network ability. To turn it off, run the License Administrator. Then in the menu, choose File > Change License Server. Turn off Standalone mode. Hit Ok.
19 posts
And now it works.

Thanks a lot.
  • Quick Links