Bend fur

2679   7   1
253 posts
How do we bend fur around a custom vector ?

Attachments:
vecs.jpg (169.2 KB)
novecs.jpg (157.3 KB)

242 posts
This is what I hate with h15.5 fur.
If you are using guides, you will have to dive down to were the guides are created. Find the cvex shader, dive inside a subnet and change the vector to be rotated around in the cross2 node input2.

If your fur node is called fur_object, this would be the location of that cross VOP
/obj/fur_object/create_guides/scattered/cvex_shaders/guideshader/shape

If you are not using guides, you will have to do the same thing but in this location:
/obj/fur_object/fur/shopnet1/guideshader/if2/shape

…Before diving down to the deepest of the deepest subnet, dont forgett to “allow editing of contents” on the fur node, else you will have to travel back up again.

Im so in love with a new fur tool soon to be released.
Edited by mawi - 2017年2月9日 16:40:26
253 posts
Incredible ! Thanks a lot. Do you remember how you came into getting this info ? Maybe a tutorial or some part of the docs I might have missed…

So you've been testing the H16 fur tool ?
527 posts
You need a tangent vector of the surface which I like to comb the surface normal as a “flow” vector(which you probably want the crossproduct of so it bends into the flow). From there you need to loop over the whole hair and rotate all the cvs from one cv at a time. So if you have 5 cv's rotate all 4 from the root cv0, then rotate the 3 remaining from cv1 then do the same from cv2 until you are done.
soho vfx
253 posts
Wren
You need a tangent vector of the surface which I like to comb the surface normal as a “flow” vector(which you probably want the crossproduct of so it bends into the flow). From there you need to loop over the whole hair and rotate all the cvs from one cv at a time. So if you have 5 cv's rotate all 4 from the root cv0, then rotate the 3 remaining from cv1 then do the same from cv2 until you are done.

So in your opinion this is a better approach ? I can't judge for myself because you didn't specify how to actually do it. Of course I have the flow vector part figured out as you can see in my first post.

mawi's solution is working by the way.
242 posts
A-OC
Incredible ! Thanks a lot. Do you remember how you came into getting this info ? Maybe a tutorial or some part of the docs I might have missed…

Ive done x² grooms the last 2 years.
253 posts
Oh. Can you recommend some instructional material ? Or did you get all your knowledge through the long and painful way ?
242 posts
A-OC
Oh. Can you recommend some instructional material ? Or did you get all your knowledge through the long and painful way ?
I dont think there is any H-fur tutorials out there. If you want to learn the “old” fur system, start with a empty scene and work your way through the fur sop, mantra fur procedural, skin/guides CVEX shader.
The fur HDA is “just” a pre-built complex version of the fur SOP.
  • Quick Links