autorig arm rotation problem

2219   8   2
56 posts
am getting extra values when rotating arms and this lead to weird animation result, the movement of the arm don't look right.
When rotating using the y-axis up and down i get clean result. but when rotating the x-axis am getting values in all three axis(x,y,z) which give weird movement of arm back and forth.
Edited by seifdune - 2017年10月27日 17:30:42

Attachments:
before.png (303.1 KB)
rotation y.png (341.1 KB)
rotation x.png (310.0 KB)

56 posts
hda

Attachments:
rigo.hda (1.0 MB)

402 posts
Hi seifdune,

This is all normal behaviour, what's happening here is Houdini is performing some calculations behind the scenes to generate the proper rotate values… How this behaves is also dependent on rotation order, in the case of this control it looks like it will be RzRxRy (the same as the default rotation order for bones). If you want see a contrast to how the rotate handle normally works, try RMB clicking on the handle and select ‘Gimbal Mode’, this will preserve the orientation of the individual axes, but you can also see it makes certain kinds of manipulation tricky.

Long story short - don't panic! All is well.
Henry Dean
56 posts
i try right click to check the handles but it's gimbal lock, what can i do to get smooth animation out of this rotation.
483 posts
Is it possible to share an animation with the problem?
Maybe the animation curves can show you the problem?
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
56 posts
the problem is i got three curve for the arm to move back and forth. it's weird because z-axis also got value which this cause the arm to move in arc motion.I provided the hda can use test it please,may be you will understand why i want.
483 posts
Hi seifdune,

I agree with you, if I only rotate the arm,
then the behaviour is not very userfriendly in my opinion.
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
402 posts
Ah! Many apologies, I didn't understand the problem properly

Yes, this setup isn't serving your case very well at all, as bringing the arm to the side is robbing you of an axis to do the swing with. This is to do with the rotation order on the upper arm, changing this to RxRyRz for example gives you a much cleaner result.

So, it looks like this should be changed to RxRyRz by default, or possibly having an option to switch rotate order… I am struggling to think of when another order might be needed, but then you never can until you need one

I ended up adding a rotate order parm to the left arm of your character, you can find it under the ‘Left Arm’ -> ‘Controls’ tab. Try changing it to xyz instead of the default zyx, it should behave more like you want.

Cheers,
Henry

Attachments:
rigo.hda (1.0 MB)

Henry Dean
56 posts
thanks
  • Quick Links