Common project structures in Houdini pipeline

3142   2   2
176 posts
As in my previous maya/RAT experience, in Maya pipeline always exists some kind of predefined project structure, like where common textures are for this project, where to put rib files and so on..
As far as I found, there is no such thing in Houdini in a “predefined” way. But anyway, I think people use some kind of structure in their projects, especially if they are quite large.
So, if it's possible, can you share your experience with us?
4140 posts
If you haven't already, check out this thread [sidefx.com], which itself has more pointers.

There's as many ways of setting things up as there are files on disk. Typically things are a tree structure of some sort, but how you need to share resources such as HDAs/images/geo between shows/shots/layers will drive how you'd want to set things up. More than anything, necessity breeds structure, so needs vary between shops.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7025 posts
I wrote a section in the Magic of Houdini book that covers exactly this… basically, a “hip-centric” way of working and a “job-centric” way of working. I personally always use “job-centric” but “hip-centric” is also just as valid, though usually for smaller projects.

Cheer,s

Pete rb
  • Quick Links