Running Linux on a Mac

6536   7   5
31 posts
Hi all,

Would like to get some self-training experience in on Linux and Houdini at the same (a lot of work I'm sure). But I only own a Mac right now.

Would it be possible to run Linux, any version, on a Mac G4 Powerbook and then install Houdini from there?

I have seen the info on Virtual PC, but I think most of the bigger studios use UNIX derived operating systems, so I would be worth it to go with the Linux route instead, if it's available.

Thanks in advance,
T
166 posts
Hi,

Well, last time I used Mac and Linux it was sometimes ago (OS9) and I was using Yellow Dog.
Apparently Ubuntu will be your best bet as Houdini comes for Ubuntu. You have also SUSE. If SUSE for Mac is as easy to install as on PC you could have a go. But I will suggest you to read this link and make your own choice.
http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/06/0918.html [lowendmac.com]

I hope it will help.
Gerome.
Time to get out of this messy world.
46 posts
I'm sorry, but Houdini won't run on linux on a G4. Take a look at the following thread: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5333&highlight=ubuntu+mac [sidefx.com]
Down at the page the discussion is about linux on a mac G5, but the same applies to the G4.
31 posts
Hi Frank,

thanx for the tip, you saved me a lot of trouble!

with that new info to consider, i need to figure out whether im going to sell my (relatively new) powerbook and get a pc to run linux, or switch to another 3D program that is actually made for a mac - such as lightwave or maya (of course).

the problem those two choices is that so many people are already using those programs, so it might be harder for someone just trying to break into the working world of 3D as newbie. and, since most houses use linux as their primary OS anyway, it seems to me like a good idea to get experience learning UNIX stuff at the same time.

but maybe i am biting off more that a newbie should chew at this point. all i really want to do is get my foot into the door of hallowed halls of Rythm and Hues.

need to get some focuuuus on the situation <takes deep breath and exhales loudly>

piece,
T
483 posts
terrybuchanan
i need to figure out whether im going to sell my (relatively new) powerbook and get a pc to run linux
You could always sell your powerbook and buy a MacBook Pro, which will happily run Windows (with Boot Camp), Mac OS X, and Linux (I'm told – I don't have a MacBook, just an iBook, so I don't know how easy it is to set up Linux with Boot Camp). Of course, no matter what it's going to have a bit of an incremental cost to you.

Good luck in your deciding!
31 posts
Hi Joe,

If you at a post by Frank earlier in this thread you will see a link to post in another thread in this forum that, for some complicated software engineering reasons I haven't taken the time to figure out what they mean, Houdini will not work on the Intel Macs (which i think are the same thing as G5). at least that is the impression i got from the article.

T.
3 posts
houdini 9 on a Mac..
1.Prep a partition of your hard drive using Fat32 bit setting (using the Disk Utility), or better- just add an extra hard drive and use it solely for the linux partition.
2. download CentOs 5, it's about a 4 gig download, takes about 4 hours if you have a t1 connection.
3. Burn the CentOs 5 download onto a dvd.
4. Boot up the mac using the dvd as the startup disk
5. Install linux CentOs 5 following the simple instructions on the dvd.
6. Re boot the mac holding the option key down (to pick which operating system you want to boot into), or better - use an app called ReFit to automatically ask you at boot time what os you want to boot into.
7. Once you boot into CentOs 5, download appropriate graphics drivers for whatever display card you have on the mac, and make sure the open gl driver modules are installed (check the install log).
8. Download Houdini, and install.
9. reboot and launch Houdini
10. Revel as you see H9 running on an 8 core mac with a 30" Cinema Display - fast, clean, simple.
18 posts
I run ubuntu 64 on my macbookpro with H9 using refit for multiple boots and have seen macpro ( octocore ) running ubuntu 64 as well with good results.

cheers

chris
  • Quick Links