Does SideFX take part in Black Friday sales on Houdini?

6802   5   0
29 posts
Hey there,
I was scrolling through twitter today and saw a bunch of my favorite software was doing nice Black Friday discounts. I have been interested in the Houdini Indie edition but I don't even know how to use Houdini yet but I know that if I were to just go ahead and get it, it would force me to finally spend some time learning it, lol. So I was wondering if anyone happens to know if SideFX does any sort of Black Friday sales on Houdini?

Thanks!
38 posts
It doesn't look like they do.
I think the price for the Indie version is already very reasonable. I don't know of any other package that offers Indie users so much at a similar price point.
You can do everything with an apprentice edition, it's just not for commercial purposes and has a render resolution cap( 720p ) and watermark.
As the indie versions are rentals, you'd probably be better of waiting until you need it for commercial purposes or want to remove the render limitations.
29 posts
FDX3245,
I appreciate the reply. I am in no way disputing that it is a reasonable deal, I am just more of a… hardcore hobbyist? I don't know what to call it. I have no intention of making any return on my investment into anything I do, I am just very passionate about learning and doing.

Lately, I have been trying my hand at animation and short cinematic creation with Unity and the HD Render Pipeline and wanted to beef up my blood effects and several more that I plan to make. (https://youtu.be/pi7564A15u4), and I figured the Indie version of Houdini might help out, as I believe I would have to export it out to Alembic (I am not quite sure yet, though, if that is the proper way to go about it) and I don't believe I can do so with Apprentice, and even if I could, I would prefer no watermark or anything. Plus, as I mentioned, when I pay for something, I am much more likely to learn it, as was the case with Akeytsu, and a few other tools. I am also a fan of spending *less* when I can, though, lol.

It is definitely no problem if there is no sale, I was simply wondering as I am trying to get a list together so I don't forget to grab anything that I am wanting.

Thanks,
- instanceid
4189 posts
Houdini Apprentice might, not sure though.
30 posts
Apprentice won't. Left of field option FXPhd are doing a Black Friday sale $66 a month for their premium tier You can use their licence servers for Houdini FX (and a bunch of other software) as well as download your fill of their courses. Not a realistic forever option - but last year I did it for 4m. Since then a few new good Houdini tutorials have dropped so I signed up again.
Edited by mmc - 2019年12月1日 10:03:27
320 posts
I am a hobbyist as well and use Indie, I like the fact I can export FBX to substance painter which you cannot do in Apprentice and run Houdini engine for Unity.
  • Quick Links