Advect pyro with volume? + limiting velocity to x-z axis.

1589   7   1
43 posts
Hi all!
I'm trying to understand what the workflow is when advecting smoke with an external volume velocity from inside a dop pyro solver.
So far I had no success, and couldn't really find much info about it.
I have some custom volume velocities that I can make work with particles, but not with pyro.

Also, as an alternative, I'd like to try and use the gas turbulence dynamics node, but limit its action to x and z axis.
Is it possible to use a sop solver to change the Y VEL to 0, each frame? is there a more efficient way?
397 posts
You can source it like you would density, and target the vel field. Usually with an "add" or "pull" operation.

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2023-03-06 16-49-17.png (118.3 KB)

43 posts
Tanto
You can source it like you would density, and target the vel field. Usually with an "add" or "pull" operation.
this would be from the same source volume, right?
397 posts
Not necessarily, you can use several source volume nodes with different inputs and merge them.
397 posts
Also for your second question, just use a volume wrangle before sourcing your velocity, with:
v@vel.y = 0;
43 posts
Tanto
Not necessarily, you can use several source volume nodes with different inputs and merge them.
Yes thank you! I made it by merging in a source volume that only had the vel from my other volume and it works fine.
And thank you for the code, I actually added that in a vop to get rid of any velocity pointing upwards on my source, but do you think I can use it inside the pyro solver? I can easily do it with particles, but with Pyro it's a bit of a mystery for me.
Sometimes I apply forces inside the solver that (even if I limit them to only add x and z direction force) end up pushing the sim upwards - or downwards.
397 posts
Sure, if you locate the sources in the solver, you can do the same using a Gas Field Wrangle, of Gas Field VOP.
43 posts
Tanto
Sure, if you locate the sources in the solver, you can do the same using a Gas Field Wrangle, of Gas Field VOP.
ah nice,that's the nodes i need then. thank you!
  • Quick Links