Houdini Terrain to Unreal Engine 5.2 without paint layers

1542   2   0
1 posts
Greetings,

I am trying to create a simple terrain in Houdini and import that into Unreal Engine 5.2. Following a tutorial I ended up with a terrain with 3 layers: height, Layer_01, Layer_02. Layer_01 and Layer_02 are custom layers created with masks using heightfield_copylayer node and other layers created with heightfield_erode node are blasted. I added timeshift node for the erode node.

The problem is that when I import the .hdalc file into Unreal and place it in the level, created Landscape doesn't have those paint layers defined. I can see in the Output window following message:

LogHoudiniEngine: Warning: Could not find target layer: Layer_02. This should be 'height', 'visibility' or the name of a layer in the material.
LogHoudiniEngine: Warning: Could not find target layer: Layer_01. This should be 'height', 'visibility' or the name of a layer in the material.

Should those layers be in the landscape out of the box or I need to create the Landscape material beforehand and name the layers like in Houdini? All tutorials and documentations says that I should have them automatically.
2 posts
Am using 19.5.534, tried to export heightfield layer to unreal 5.1.1 and it works.
Am using 19.5.534, tried to export heightfield layer to unreal 5.2.0 and it does not work.

update your houdini engine, or revert unreal to 5.1.1.
10 posts
Hi everyone, I was facing the exact problem and found the solution:

You have to create a material in unreal with the exact Target Layer Names in the landscape layer blend node that match the layer names you created in houdini.
After that in Houdini you have to create a string attribute on primitives "unreal_material" . Reference The material you created in unreal. I did this at the very last step before the output (obviously)..

For example: MaterialInstanceConstant'/Game/LANDSCAPE_HDA/M_Landscape_Inst.M_Landscape_Inst'

If the landscape is than cooked the target Layers will import correctly.

Hope this helps.

cheers, jaden
  • Quick Links