what is the UVW???????

5981   5   1
23 posts
hello everyone i just want to know if i understand the UVW all right or some thing is wrong:
i know that:
every geometry contain a U curve and a V curve and if my geometry is a curve then this curve have just the U and when i have a creep ,the U and V con't be more than 1 or less than 0 and about W i don't know any thing
i hope that someone can explain what is the UVW basic and how to usefull it in the creep node?(i have seen the 5.creep_sop video in the modeling but not understand)
thanks for all
94 posts
I am not THAT foolproof(?expr?) in this yet, but as you said, if you have a ONE dimensional object, you can parametrize its “appearance” by applying a “U texture”. Which would describe what color at which percentage of its length to be applied.

If you have a surface, which is TWO dimensional, You use a “U/V texture”, which is basically the same but for two dimensions.

Now, You're asking what a U/V/W is. You get the point ??

It is used, to “Texture” a volume based object. Take smoke for example. You could say, that in the center of a sphere the density of smoke should be the highest, and at the edges less dense. Hence (U/V/W)'s are coordinates in three dimensions.
$$d(u,v,w)=1-(u*v*w)^2$$

(Look up voxels in this context…)

Picked one for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVW_Map [en.wikipedia.org] and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping [en.wikipedia.org]

For the SOP I am still too much a Houdini Noob to help you, sorry…ops:

(mistakes are applied for patent ! :twisted: )
HTH !!!
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
1145 posts
You seem clear about UV; W is perpendicular from the surface, “height” off the surface.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
23 posts
WhoDjini,thanks for answer but I want to ask you for something

in the smoke example if you can explain the expression $$d(u,v,w) in words ,that is will be a new information in houdini . i mean how houdini understand and why the $ are writen tow times and d(u,v,w) i think that mean that:
d:density, (u,v,w) this is the coordinates in the UVW map
and will be great if you attach hip file which you use the smoke example with this expression.

probbins,thanks .your explain about W it is very easy to remember
thanks for all
94 posts
xoctan657
WhoDjini,thanks for answer but I want to ask you for something

in the smoke example if you can explain the expression $$d(u,v,w) in words ,that is will be a new information in houdini . i mean how houdini understand and why the $ are writen tow times and d(u,v,w) i think that mean that:
d:density, (u,v,w) this is the coordinates in the UVW map
and will be great if you attach hip file which you use the smoke example with this expression.

probbins,thanks .your explain about W it is very easy to remember
thanks for all

Sorry, about that !! It was a bit misleading, I guess. ops:

That was written in notation of TeX/LaTeX as a simple example, “depicting” what I wrote earlier. The “$$” in LaTeX means put a formula in this line. And, No, it is not really usable in houdini (yet?)!

I refered to smoke, just because it was the first thing that came to my mind. I am using houdini just 14 days now, I have not yet come to use any particle/smoke/liquid stuff yet.

The formula given also is not correct. It gives you an eighth of a sphere at one corner of a cube and has 3 “spikes”… whenever one of U/V/W is zero the density becomes 1… Sorry for that, my keyboard was faster than allowed…
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
1 posts
Thanks for the info..
  • Quick Links