Building Modelling Tools

2538   0   1
82 posts
Hi….

I was going thru the Houdini Modelling Pipeline, and found that there are some features missing from Houdini, which are pretty common in all other Modelling packages.

1. Moving a point along its Normal , and two directions, perpendicular to the normal. ie. up-down and left-right. There is a peak operator in houdini, which provides the motion along normal, but not the other two.

2. Selections ::: Well, loop selection is there, but not Ring selection. U can grow the selection by toggling between selection types, but can not shrink the current selection.

3. When using Edge Divide, an edge is added only at the mid-points of the original edges, and we can not slide it along the original edges. Also, the original edges have to be selected in a specific order, or the tool doesn't work properly.

Is there any simple way to add these features. I can write python scripts, but don't know how to get access to the current geometry selection ,and how to modify it?
I tried to create the First tool (ie. moving along 3 local axes), using Vops. It works fine, but has three controls, x y z, which I want to connect to a Handle in view-port. There is a translate handle, which I connected it to. But the problem is that, the handle can not be aligned to the local axes.

Are there any similar examples u have seen?

Regards,

Jaideep Khadilkar
iamjaideep80 (Jaideep Khadilkar)
  • Quick Links