merging fluid surface with grid

2206   1   0
23 posts
I'm simulating local water surface effects using a volume fluid and objects interacting with it.

Then I would like to merge (extend) the fluid surface with a much larger grid that represents the full ocean and use a displacement shader to add additional effects such as ocean waves.

Since I'm using a displacement shader and raytracing it's beneficial to keep the gridres as low as possible.

I tried just deleting the edges and bottom from the fluid levelset grid using expressions to turn it into a plane. Then I made a hole in a larger grid and simply merged them together. This works fairly well if I make sure the fluid sim never reaches its boundary. However at certain camera angles there might be a small gap between the two surfaces if not perfectly aligned in y-dir.

There must be a better way to stitch the surfaces together?

I guess I could write my own sop for it which deletes edges and bottom from the fluid and then simply extends the surface in all directions.

Any ideas?
4 posts
I've had some success by scattering points on both surfaces and using the particle fluid surface sop to make a seamless mesh. I found best results when i deleted the intersections of the surfaces before using the scatter sop.
  • Quick Links