how to get the points group after using sweep

2716   2   0
20 posts
Hi guys,

I created a Group to store some points from a box, applied Duplicate to the box, and then I can get the accumulative amounts of points in group I created. However, as I do the same process except to replace Duplicate to Sweep, I can't get the Group info. I'm just wondering if it would be a way to get the inherited points Group? Thanks in advance!
1908 posts
You can't make the groups physically persist, but you can rebuild the group afterwards using attributes.

In the attached file we have a group of points on the box and then use that group to assign an attribute. The grouped points get a value of 1, the ungrouped get 0. After the Sweep operation the attribute values persist so we can then create a new group, grouping by expression $FLAG. All the points we had with a value of 1 are now grouped.

In the case of the Duplicate vs the Sweep SOP you'll have to remember that the Sweep will orient the geometry along the Z axis of the cross-sectional geometry. So in the attached file while I grouped the bottom points of the box, the points that are grouped after Sweep are side points but you can get around that by just rotating the geometry 90 degrees about X before the Sweep.

Attachments:
remember_groups.hip (53.9 KB)

Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
20 posts
Hi graham,

Thanks for your great sample and detailed explanation. It's really help me a lot!
  • Quick Links