Volume Rendering Artifacts

2473   0   0
21 posts
I've just finished an entry to the cookoff competition and I hope a couple of you will bear with me as I try to suss out some things that went (quite drastically at times) wrong during the course of my entry build.

I had a scramble in the last week of the competition optimising render times as, with very limited resources, I simply wasn't going to make it.

Doing a breakdown and utilizing COPS was the real answer but I had some display corruption issues and had to abandon that for all-in-one rendering (we were not to use outside compositing software). The main speed-up was to light the volumes with a couple of shadow-mapped spots and switch to Micropolygon Physically Based Rendering. But it was also my downfall. The artefacts below were not evident in my low resolution preview renders so I was in for a shock when the final renders popped out. Unfortunately, I've just now found the fix for MPBR but do wonder why the setting affects MPBR and not RT or PBR?

The Raytrace looks fine, the MPBR artefacts I've discovered can be fixed by lowering the Volume Step Size but I haven't found a fix for the different PBR errors depicted below.

If this is a FAQ or something, please point the way!

Thanks,

Christopher

Thanks!

Attachments:
steam_compare_01.png (77.6 KB)

Christopher Stewart
Vancouver, BC
3D | VFX | IT
  • Quick Links