Houdini Ocean Toolkit Foam

10247   5   1
292 posts
Hey everybody,

I am using H.O.T. to create oceans for a project. I have achieved a very nice waves and swell using the displacement SHOP and now I'd like to add foam to the wave crests. I've seen some pretty spectacular examples of this having been accomplished on vimeo using H.O.T., but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. The sparse information available seems to suggest the eigenvalues get multiplied with a procedural noise and plugged into colour, but I haven't been successful. If anyone has suggestions , or better yet an example scene file, I'd be most grateful.

lor

From the docs http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/ocean/docs/ [anusf.anu.edu.au]

“The crests of the choppy waves are being colored by choosing the areas where the sign of the mininum eigenvalue (ME) is negative, and adding some color made from the negated ME multiplied by some noise. More sophisticated foam and spray can be driven with the minimal eigenvalue and eigenvector.”
2624 posts
Hi Nick ,
Have you done search on odforce theres quite a bit of info on it.

rob
Gone fishing
292 posts
I would have but odforce forums appear to be down all day.
2624 posts
Nick ,
Simple file attached, you will need to export out the mineigval attribute from the hot ocean eval vop. Then you can use it as per the example as a birth value for particles or for use in a shader

rob

Attachments:
mineigval.hip (1002.8 KB)

Gone fishing
292 posts
Brilliant. Thank you so much Rob.
2 posts
Great that even in 2013 this file is working and helped me getting into HOT.

Thanks.
  • Quick Links