Bridging Maya and Houdini

18609   13   3
33 posts
How to create pipeline between maya and houdini ie upto animation maya and in fx part houdini FBX is not working as we expected can any one help me

how to bridge these packages
sab
55 posts
alembic is the efficient way i think.
33 posts
Alembic won't export shaders and textures

we are still working on fbx part
sab
7725 posts
The easy way is to light/render in Houdini.
33 posts
i didnt get you edward light/render ???.
if we want animation from Maya , that's my prob

We are building pipeline like that Up to animation we use Maya and
total fx part in Houdini. company is planing for buy license also
sab
7725 posts
If you light/render in Houdini, then you do you do your shaders/textures on the Houdini side. No need to export from Maya. So you go back to using FBX to get animation from Maya into Houdini.
280 posts
or you can model, shade and render in maya (in passes ofcoz), this is due im sure in your pipeline most artist are comfortable using maya than houdini…
and the fx component rendered in houdini (also in passes), and comp it. if u need a collider or a source for your fx element transfer between both using alembic (it wont need texture or shader)…
best regards
Patar
43 posts
edward
If you light/render in Houdini, then you do your shaders/textures on the Houdini side. No need to export from Maya. So you go back to using FBX to get animation from Maya into Houdini.

Sounds good, but what if model already textured?
I was importing geometry from maya to houdini without any problem, but when I started to render with mantra, I got a lot of errors about “mantra can`t load texture $full psd file texture here”
What i need to do in this case?
280 posts
Sounds good, but what if model already textured?
I was importing geometry from maya to houdini without any problem, but when I started to render with mantra, I got a lot of errors about “mantra can`t load texture $full psd file texture here”
What i need to do in this case?
if you really want to render in houdini why not convert the texture to other format that houdini can read (ie: tga ,tiff,etc…)
43 posts
patar
why not convert the texture to other format that houdini can read (ie: tga ,tiff,etc…)

okay, that`s the issue here. I`m a bit confused that Houdini can`t take psd. Thank you for advise.
43 posts
Convert the textures to .rat format if rendering in mantra. Renders faster as it consumes less memory.
3 posts
Hi,

I'm using Houdini 12.0.634, and I would like to export my geos/animations in alembic format containing for the multiples objects informations. For the moment I have multiples objects animated and each object as a define group in Houdini. When I export I get a merged animated object in Maya with the alembic exporter
There is a partition attribute parameter but nothing appears in the folding menu (either group or attribute..)

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.
29 posts
nixdna
Hi,

I'm using Houdini 12.0.634, and I would like to export my geos/animations in alembic format containing for the multiples objects informations. For the moment I have multiples objects animated and each object as a define group in Houdini. When I export I get a merged animated object in Maya with the alembic exporter
There is a partition attribute parameter but nothing appears in the folding menu (either group or attribute..)

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

I had same problem didn't spend to much time searching around why its doing that.
Easy Fix : Just use Poly Separate tool in Maya and it separate out easily.
Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
3 posts
Thanks for the tips.
The problem is I loose the information of where they come from and it is a bit tricky to re-link the material afterwards..
There must be solution to make this work!
  • Quick Links