Orbolt protection

4699   6   3
383 posts
Is there a way to protect an Orbolt Asset or to make parts of it (esp. python code) unreadable ? Is there something planed in this direction ? If parts of the orbolt asset are written in C how are the dlls packaged and how are different platforms managed ?
www.woogieworks.at
76 posts
You can upload protected assets (http://www.orbolt.com/faq/question/27/difference-between-protected-and-open-assets [orbolt.com]) which would prevent people from being able to see source code.

I don't believe that orbolt is meant for sharing assets written in C or hdk stuff.
383 posts
jkunz07
You can upload protected assets (http://www.orbolt.com/faq/question/27/difference-between-protected-and-open-assets [orbolt.com]) which would prevent people from being able to see source code.

I don't believe that orbolt is meant for sharing assets written in C or hdk stuff.
Thanks for the link. I failed to see this FAQ on my last orbolt experiments ..
www.woogieworks.at
350 posts
dulo
Is there a way to protect an Orbolt Asset or to make parts of it (esp. python code) unreadable ? Is there something planed in this direction ? If parts of the orbolt asset are written in C how are the dlls packaged and how are different platforms managed ?

As mentioned above, we probably won't support C/C++ or DLL code unless it's compiled inline. The actual contents of the networks, nodes, parameters, etc. is compiled, so that is protected. However, the Python/scripts section is uncompiled for now, meaning it is easily readable. We're looking at the best way to protect this as well, so it is coming in the future.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
Side Effects Software Inc.
1192 posts
oleg
As mentioned above, we probably won't support C/C++ or DLL code unless it's compiled inline.
I think Orbolt would be a great way to distribute compiled (HDK) solutions, hope to see it in a future version.
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
606 posts
digitallysane
oleg
As mentioned above, we probably won't support C/C++ or DLL code unless it's compiled inline.
I think Orbolt would be a great way to distribute compiled (HDK) solutions, hope to see it in a future version.

Yes, getting automated current builds from SESI would be a great service.
383 posts
How would one handle dependencies of the python code in an Orbolt asset ?
For example if the python code would need SciPy or numpy to work is it possible to package those dependencies ? I guess under windows this could be quite complicated ..
Maybe Sesi could ship the windows version of Houdini 12.1 with SciPy and Numpy ?
www.woogieworks.at
  • Quick Links