Simple displacement noise question

3794   4   0
95 posts
Hello I have a should be simple question on noise. I have noticed that if I make a grid for example 200x200. If I then apply a mantra surface shader to it with displacement noise on, I would have to zoom in really close to see it when I render. So I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to scale up the noise to match the grid size? So I wouldn't have to zoom in so close to see it. Any help would be appreciated
1743 posts
In the SHOP node for the shader, go to the Displacement tab and increase the Displacement Scale. If it's grayed out, click on the Enable Noise checkbox below. You might want to adjust the properties of the noise as well, but the overall scale is the Displacement Scale parameter. Hopefully this helps!
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
95 posts
Thanks ndickson

I played with the displacement scale value, and wasn't getting what i was after. I'm going to try the noise settings right now but Here is some pictures to help explain. The grid1 is just a regular 10x10 grid with noise at default values. Grid2 is 200x200. What I'm looking to do is try to get this to match grid1 to grid2 with the displacement noise. It seems the larger I make the grid the smaller the noise becomes at render time.

Attachments:
grid2.jpg (94.2 KB)
grid1.jpg (125.6 KB)

1743 posts
It looks like the noise is about the same to me. Keep in mind that the displacement is in actual units, not relative to the size of anything, (else subdividing a surface would change the displacement), so if you make a grid with 20 times the side length and you move the camera back 20 times as far so that the grid looks the same size as before, the exact same amount of noise will appear 20 times smaller, since it's 20 times as far away. You'll have to increase the noise by a factor of 20 to have the noise be as prominent in camera space as it was when you were 20 times closer to the grid.

Edit: More specifically, (upon double-checking), the displacement is in object space, so another way you could do it, if you want the noise to increase with increasing object size, is to change the scale on the object node.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
95 posts
Thanks ndickson

This is exactly what I was looking for! Works like a charm, you learn something new everyday The only downside is it tends to tear the grid a bit with true displacements on. Playing with the displace scale and bounds seems to have little to no effect. Well it seems to only tear with perlin noise, all the others work fine. Thanks again for helping me solve my problem
  • Quick Links