Wood Splinter

5454   8   1
3 posts
So my problem is I'm trying to make a wood splinters in Houdini. My current set up is.

Geometry
Transform
Scatter
Fracture Points
Fracture
Transform

But my problem arises when I try to put that information into my DOP pre fractured. Where I'm currently getting no fracturing and the scale is incorrect.

Sorry if this a really nooby question, I'm primary a Maya user but I'm trying to expand.
390 posts
not sure what youre doing wrong without seeing a file, but made this to show you the way youre describing.

Attachments:
wood.hipnc (207.1 KB)

3 posts
Thanks for quick response I actually worked it out from my file and your file, so thanks a lot
390 posts
no problem
3 posts
Is there a way to export the baked simulation from Houdini to another programme (maya)
390 posts
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.1/io/geo [sidefx.com]

you can use a file sop or a rop out driver
258 posts
While you can find sequence importers for both .bgeo and .obj for Maya it is slow and clunky- a much better option would be to use .FBX or Alembic which works really well in most cases. You should use an attributePromote to promote your points to vertices with a facetSop to give the geometry good normals. You can change your normals in Maya but usually have to unlock them.
スタッフ
3455 posts
and you'll likely need to scale up by 100x as Houdini is meters and Maya is cm
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
sl0throp
While you can find sequence importers for both .bgeo and .obj for Maya it is slow and clunky- a much better option would be to use .FBX or Alembic which works really well in most cases. You should use an attributePromote to promote your points to vertices with a facetSop to give the geometry good normals. You can change your normals in Maya but usually have to unlock them.

If your mesh came in from Maya originally though, I'm guessing a facetSop is going to mess up all the original normals, correct?
  • Quick Links