make project

5489   8   1
7 posts
how setup the ‘'make project" folder? I couldn’t find in preference and everywhere.
390 posts
unlike in maya, there is no required project directory. this allows you to organize your files however you like. you can use the expression $HIP to make relative paths.
7 posts
can you explain me how the expression $HIP to make relative paths? Explain me in step by step please.
390 posts
so you could have a directory like this-

myproject
myhipfile.hip
-geometry
-geofile.$F4.bgeo
-textures
-mytexture.tif
-renders

when i bring in geofile in a file sop, i can point to it like this

$HIP/geometry/geofile.$F4.bgeo

$HIP turns into the path where the hipfile is saved. this way when you move the entire folder ‘myproject’, all of the references to files and textures still work.

when you load in a texture, you similarly would use $HIP/textures/mytexture.tif

and if you wanted to write out renders, you could write $HIP/renders/output_$F4.exr

when you click on a file button, on the left of the window that pops up, houdini makes a link for $HIP so you can easily access the correct directory.

hope that helps to make more sense.
7 posts
I am bit confused…

Look at attached please. Where i find Make Project app (h12project)? I watched it from sidefx houdini fx tutorial first steps intro / Lesson 3 | Digital Assets. - Time : 56:54

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 09.56.44.png (362.7 KB)

379 posts
Yeah I think Ari confused a lot of newbies with this.

That is not related to Houdini, he was using Apple script to create project structure. And than he was using that structure within Houdini. it is like you manually create project folder, and inside that create other folders you need … Than open Houdini and save scene and other assets in those folders. There is no something like that in Houdini. Of course not that you can not make something like that with Python.
7 posts
thanks for advice, i ll find an answer later.
7 posts
Apple script to create project structure, is shown on lesson three from sidefx how they do it. is from lesson 3 mean M03 from houdini can someone from the Houdini help out you can see attachment above why tech lesson and not show how is made. on apple desktop from training is day H12…..apps how you create that

many thank

zafar
7 posts
I hope that someone else finds this useful. I finally had an excuse to play with Automator. Unfortunately this is only for OS X, but as a previous poster mentioned it would be very easy to create something like this in Python (or your scripting language of choice)

Attachments:
Houdini Project Maker.zip (1.5 MB)

• Quick Links