Install Houdini Apprentice Licensing on CentOS 6

4836   5   1
3 posts
Hi all,

I am trying to install Houdini Apprentice with a license, but I can't select “Apprentice Licensing” due to “You must be root when installing Houdini to set up Apprentice Licensing.”

How can I be a root user during the process of installation to continue an install process?

Kind regards,
379 posts
Start installation as root. If you do not know how to do that, please learn more about Linux, that is basic.
390 posts
sudo ./houdini.install or ./houdini_install (forget which one)
1743 posts
SreckoM
Start installation as root. If you do not know how to do that, please learn more about Linux, that is basic.

If you don't want to be helpful, please don't just post to be insulting. The prevalence of comments like this is the primary reason why I stopped bothering to use Linux. When something doesn't work, I don't find it appropriate to belittle someone for trying to get help.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
3 posts
Thank you all!

Yes, I am a very beginner in Linux, so I would like to learn it step by step. I would appreciate if you could kindly answer even though I asked something stupid or basic.

Now, I have kind of successfully installed Houdini, but I cannot still open Houdini. For some reason, I cannot install a Houdini FX license.

I found a topic that seemed to be the same problem I have, I don't know exactly the solution is.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=129853&sid=4ac6f08fb5b5bd9e6b16cca659c57fc3 [sidefx.com]

How can I install a Houdini FX license on CentOS 6?

Many thanks,
379 posts
ndickson
SreckoM

If you don't want to be helpful, please don't just post to be insulting. The prevalence of comments like this is the primary reason why I stopped bothering to use Linux. When something doesn't work, I don't find it appropriate to belittle someone for trying to get help.

I was trying to be helpful, telling him step by step what to do, especially with root access, might harm him more than help. I did not want to insult anyone by suggesting to learn basics of Linux, just wanted to be sure that OP goes a bit more on basics before starting doing stuff with root privileges, chill out friend.

@Kaz
How did you install Houdini, using terminal? On CentOS you are entering root mode by typing ‘su’ and hitting enter. You will be asked for root password. Type password and hit Enter again. Than repeat installation while you are root. After installation close terminal.
  • Quick Links