(render time) Creating Displaced geometry cache?

6626   6   1
172 posts
I have a whole structure with a bump map on it, when i render i see
“Creating displaced geometry”

is there a way to cache that step so i don't have to wait for the render to start everytime?
i only have camera movement, the structure doesn't move
1002 posts
It isn't possible to cache displaced geometry from frame to frame. Even if the camera moves, it's possible that mantra might dice the geometry differently between frames since the dicing is view-dependent. For example, a moving camera could uncover some geometry that was previously hidden, causing it to displace on the new frame.

Andrew
192 posts
sami.tawil
I have a whole structure with a bump map on it, when i render i see
“Creating displaced geometry”

if you are truly doing only bump mapping, you can add the True Displacements (vm_truedisplace) property to your geometry or material and disable it. This will cause mantra to not try to do any additional dicing for displacement, and your displacement will be rendered as a bump map.
172 posts
thanks for answering, i forgot to post a picture of my shader. probably i am doing something wrong in my shader, check it
in anycase i added the truedisplacement property, i ll see if anything gets better

Attachments:
myshader.jpg (95.5 KB)

172 posts
I fixed the problem. it was coming from a bgeo file

thanks for ur help
2 posts
Hi Sami,

I'm having the same problem and I'm using BGEO files. Can you share what solved this problem for you?
2 posts
nevermind Sami, brianBurke, your suggestion about the “True Displacements” property totally solved my problem!! Thanks! It took my render from 47 minutes to 46 seconds!!

Thanks!
  • Quick Links