Point/Particle size

1800   1   1
52 posts
I have a couple million points that I used a TableImport SOP to read from a CSV file. I added position attributes, Px, Py, Pz. I can see the points in the scene view. The points are spread across about 24 miles. Even with a lot of points, the points are far apart.

If I add a material, like Sprite Fog and render a frame. The render will only take a few seconds and be completely black.

If I manually edit the CSV file and create a few points, with Px, Py, Pz within a meter of each other, the points render. I load the simple CSV file and move the camera to center on the new points. The points render as small blobs a meter apart.

I assume the CVS file with lots of points, that are very far apart, are not being rendered, because the rendered points are too small to be scene.

I don't know how to size the points. For example, in the simple example, I should be able to create a cloud like rendering, instead of small puffs of clouds.

Any suggestions?
Brad Carvey
52 posts
I added a point sop between the tableimport sop and the add sop. I then changed the scale to “add scale”. I had to enter a value of 8000 to make the points in my point cloud visible. So, I can add a pscale attribute to a point and then adjust it's size.

Now I need to figure out how to scale the sprite based materials.
Brad Carvey
  • Quick Links