GTX titan and horrendous drivers (314 and 320 beta)

33667   46   2
172 posts
just to note that the shadows are back in viewport with gtx titan
thanks twod

houdini 12.5.421
nvidia drivers 320.18
1 posts
I have the same issue with stuttering on my GTX TITAN. I am currently using the 314.22 drivers. I removed the previous drivers, ran driver sweeper and did a clean install and still I have stuttering in all games. The strange thing is my machine was working perfectly until a modification was made to my direct x when I was installing Resident Evil Revelations (crappy gtame). Unfortunately, I was unable to perform a system restore to get me back to the point before direct x was changed.

I will install the latest beta drivers from nvidia and if the stuttering does not go away, I will be forced to rebuild my system :-( or find a way to wipe direct x from my system.
172 posts
Good news on GX titan.

I tried again the 16.000.000 poly test and i was averaging 22 fps up to 37 fps..
I tried a sphere with 80.000.000 polygons and i was at 11 fps

what just happened, is it the divers or did you do something to houdini.

just feels so much better
スタッフ
5164 posts
We've been consistently improving the 12.5 viewport since its release, so it's possible that something has changed for the better in terms of optimization. However, I'd put my money on Nvidia optimizing their drivers, since new
GPU architectures such as the Titan take a while to fully exploit with the driver software.
28 posts
sami.tawil
Good news on GX titan.

I tried again the 16.000.000 poly test and i was averaging 22 fps up to 37 fps..
I tried a sphere with 80.000.000 polygons and i was at 11 fps

what just happened, is it the divers or did you do something to houdini.

just feels so much better

This sounds like good news. Is this in openGl 3.2 and which viewport shading mode do you use?
172 posts
i used the smooth shaded
…of course in wireframe everything drops

sorry for late answer
172 posts
also i am pretty sure that the optimization comes from you since this was tested on 320.49 nvidia driver same drivers
16 posts
Which drivers are proving the most stable with the Titan on Win7-64?

I notice nVidia has released a 331.40 beta that should fix a few issues reported in the previous WHQL.

The Houdini installer for 12.5.556 said:

WARNING: The 310-314 NVidia drivers are very unstable with Houdini. You may experience random lockups and crashes. Upgrade to the 320 series or above, or downgrade to 304.

I've been running 314.22 without any issues with my other 3D apps, but … this is my first time to install Houdini.

BTW - I have two Titans in my box, hopefully this won't cause any issues?
172 posts
houdiniWannabe
Which drivers are proving the most stable with the Titan on Win7-64?

I notice nVidia has released a 331.40 beta that should fix a few issues reported in the previous WHQL.

The Houdini installer for 12.5.556 said:

WARNING: The 310-314 NVidia drivers are very unstable with Houdini. You may experience random lockups and crashes. Upgrade to the 320 series or above, or downgrade to 304.

I've been running 314.22 without any issues with my other 3D apps, but … this is my first time to install Houdini.

BTW - I have two Titans in my box, hopefully this won't cause any issues?

331.40 beta …crash houdini at start for me..direct segmentation fault.
my best experience are with the 320.49…i have a backup install in case
i am trying the new 331.58 whql driver…

i will tell you how it is going in 30 min
172 posts
the result with the new drivers aren't that good compare to the 320.49 drivers

80 million polygon 5.5 fps

i will reinstall the 320.49 to make sure

Attachments:
perf-331.58.jpg (166.0 KB)

172 posts
that's weird the driver 320.49 gives me now the same fps with the same sphere 5.5 fps

on win7 is was twice as fast now i am on win 8.1
so the issue might come from the win version.

well it isn't like 80 millions poly at 5 fps is that bad anyway.
172 posts
i dont know why or how but now both drivers 331.58 and 320.49 are at 12 fps
It seems they are both good.
probably a background program was slowing down houdini

so yes 331.58 is as good as 320.49
i tried again with the 331.40 and houdini still doesnt start

here is the 80m poly sphere so you can test your performance on your gpu

Attachments:
sphere test.hipnc (113.3 KB)

16 posts
Here are a few places to check for issues on 331.58

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=382617 [forums.guru3d.com]

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/624802/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-331-58-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-10-21-13-/ [forums.geforce.com]

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2043243 [forums.evga.com]

I'll have to look thru these and see if the issues like crashing when using a browser are totally fixed (hopefully).

Thanks for the reports, please post if there's any change or instability noticed. Of course, win8 will behave differently than win7, so … when I can find some time, I'll take the plunge on win7.
スタッフ
5164 posts
Thanks for testing. Beta drivers are not at all recommended, as we've seen some issues with those in the past that clear up in the next non-beta version.
172 posts
you are welcome twod

aslo i do not have crash using browser(until now)
my 80 m poly sphere was in the background and my pc was running without a glitch while on the houdini forums and a couple of youtube page open.
with drivers 331.58 win 8.1 pro
172 posts
when i use the basic explosion shelf preset on a sphere i get crash
using openCL at 320 max axis, i had the same problem with drivers 320.49 on win7…
what is weird is that it computes very fast and suddenly crash around the frame 20 most of the time
16 posts
sami.tawil
you are welcome twod

my 80 m poly sphere was in the background and my pc was running without a glitch while on the houdini forums and a couple of youtube page open.

The browser crash ‘feature’ has been in builds for many months now, including the WHQL (not just beta). Thjs is one reason I've kept my rather old 314.22 drivers installed as I've had zero BSOD's with Win7-64.

You might scan the threads on 331.58 or earlier versions. You may be able to disable this feature by webgl.disabled & noscript.forbidWebGL in Firefox. I forget if this stops the crashes, but … I remember reading about how to disable a feature, so … I'm hoping this is the one.

I'm unsure how to disable in Chrome.

After all this time the Titan has been out, a bit depressing how buggy the drivers are.
172 posts
houdiniWannabe
sami.tawil
you are welcome twod

The browser crash ‘feature’ has been in builds for many months now, including the WHQL (not just beta). Thjs is one reason I've kept my rather old 314.22 drivers installed as I've had zero BSOD's with Win7-64.

You might scan the threads on 331.58 or earlier versions. You may be able to disable this feature by webgl.disabled & noscript.forbidWebGL in Firefox. I forget if this stops the crashes, but … I remember reading about how to disable a feature, so … I'm hoping this is the one.

I'm unsure how to disable in Chrome.

After all this time the Titan has been out, a bit depressing how buggy the drivers are.

i never had BSOD except when i installed the drivers 327, probably luck
Thanks for the tips anyway i ll check it
16 posts
I'm just not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about nVidia's latest drivers - and am curious about what kind of results Titan users are getting with different versions (and whether using Win7 or Win8)?

BTW - as I'm sure SideFx must test Houdini with different nVidia drivers (they need to know if it's a driver problem or a software bug), it would be really useful to have ‘official’ feedback as to which drivers to use on win7 or Win8 with the most recent video cards?
スタッフ
5164 posts
From the system requirements, H13 requires Nvidia drivers version 320 or higher, beta drivers not recommended.

What about the recent Nvidia drivers isn't working for you?
  • Quick Links