GTX titan and horrendous drivers (314 and 320 beta)

33559   46   2
16 posts
twod
From the system requirements, H13 requires Nvidia drivers version 320 or higher, beta drivers not recommended.

What about the recent Nvidia drivers isn't working for you?
Honestly, for each driver update, I spend a few hours reading on the forums I mentioned in a previous post about serious issues like BSODs when browsing just normal usage - and avoid upgrading at all.

Many revert back to older versions or way back to 314.22 (which is what I'm still running on Win7-64), and lose interest in even trying. There are a lot of unhappy people (although many of them seem to have older cards).

And as many are gamers (which I'm not), they are strongly motivated to try the new ‘fixes’.

An ‘official’ SideFx help page on drivers outlining which of the latest drivers are the best and worth trying with Win7-64 and Titans (I have 2 Titans in my box) or for Win8, etc. - would be be very handy for other folks.

This could lessen the reported bugs on Houdini that are due to video drivers and make your life easier?
スタッフ
5161 posts
A “known driver issue” page is a good idea. The relative instability of GEForce/Radeon drivers is why we recommend Quadro/FirePro hardware and drivers. The professional driver development is slower and much better tested.
172 posts
i will do some test later,

i was working on 320.49, and notice some lag when using the shelf to bring a cube, as well as a lag when shifting shading mode.I do not know if it is related to the GPU tho.

i just reinstalled the 331.65 i will work with it for a while and i will come back to give some results, i am working on some smoke simulation, so i will try opencl to see if i still have crash in H13 as i had in H12.5

As for the 80 m polysphere i still have 12 fps.

I noticed that the openGL frame rate isn't limited to 120 FPS anymore thu.
スタッフ
5161 posts
I've updated the odforce wiki page on Graphics Hardware with new information.

http://odforce.net/wiki/doku.php?id=graphicscardissues&#amd_catalyst [odforce.net]

Please feel free to add to it (specific reports on hardware/drivers preferred).

I noticed that the openGL frame rate isn't limited to 120 FPS anymore thu.

The frame rate itself was never limited. The frame rate display was capped at 120FPS because numbers above that were highly unstable. The draw time below the FPS display is never capped, and it's much more accurate when draw times are the single millisecond range.
16 posts
when I run Houdini 13, I get the warning about 314.22. However, problems with the driver may be related to win8 rather than win7 (which I'm running).

The http://odforce.net/wiki/doku.php?id=graphicscardissues&#amd_catalyst [odforce.net] seems to indicate only problems with win8 also.

So, maybe the warning, if I'm on win7, is not correct?

BTW - I've seen many, many posts about crashes in Chrome & Firefox when viewing YouTube with higher versions than 314.22. I strongly suggest anyone using more recent versions disable hardware acceleration in both (possibly in VideoLan.org VLC also).

using about:config in Firefox: webgl.disabled, noscript.forbidWebgl
7732 posts
When I tried a 314.XX driver, I couldn't pick in the channel editor.
16 posts
Any news on stability of new nVidia drivers for Titan on Win7-64?
  • Quick Links