FX Snow Avalanche Challenge at CG Talk

10393   11   2
405 posts
Hey Guys,

CG Talk Avalanche Challenge. Is anyone going to go for it? The challenge goes for 4 weeks and its already into the 1st week.

http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139 [cgtalk.com]

I think I could do good with the particles and the collisions of the actual simulation but I am not really sure how to write volumetric Mantra shaders still. Still learning renderman.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
154 posts
hey MatrixNAN

I'm there like a bear, but my weeks are gonna be cut short, not at my pc for a week from now, so its going to be quiet a challenge.

you gonna post anything online?

all the best
aracid
405 posts
Hey Aracid,

I worked on it for like two hours last night. I got a decent Snow Avalanche simulation and a moutain done. Yeah I will post. I think I will do it. If you want to team up I would be instested. I also think I know how to blow the houses to bits with minimal rendering time and a great simulation. Also I think I might have figured out how to also have the leaves ripped from the trees by the crashing snow too.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
2 posts
Hi MatrixNAN, I am the same guy with “GTudela” in cgtalk and odforce, I cant wait to see your work on the avalanche challenge.

Ill be there when you post. :wink:

The force be with you, pal.
9 posts
nice nate
sounds good…really looking forward to seeing what you come with
regards
monsieurblack
www.3DBuzz.com [3dbuzz.com] Super Duper Moderator(TM)
405 posts
Hey Guys,

I created a test simulation in SOP POPs but I knew this would not be powerful enough to create this effect. So I am in the process of recreating the SOP POP plus extending it into multiple particle systems with interactions between them. Tutorial? Yeah I would do a tutorial I would prefer to put out a learning video if anyone knows of a free screen capture program for doing video presentations maybe like Viewlet Builder. That could defantly be a possibility. Compatable on Windows, Linux, and Mac I believe. GON I will send you a link to the actual hipnc file shortly along with Aracid. Oh I have also started on the trees too and I am fleshing out easy quick Building construction tools that have fast render times and are highly destructable. I know DD used a curve sliding down the mountain for XXX's Snow Avalanche but I am taking a slightly different approach that seems to be working wonderfully. POPs is so powerful that there is not much of a need for expressions which I am thankful for because I was coming up with equation after equation for this.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
2 posts
Impressive, I cant wait to see your approach.

Specially the destruction/deformation system.

Good luck, and thank you very much for sharing your knowledge in that hipnc.
405 posts
Hey Guys,

Aracid I sent you an email but your mail box is full so you did not get the email. Email me with another email address you would like me to send it to. Gon I sent you an email and I was wondering if you got it. It has the Houdini Avalanche FX file in the email. Still not done by any stretch mind you.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Hey Guys,

I have offically entered into the contest.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171813 [cgtalk.com]

I still have some tweaking to do though. and several more RenderSOPs for the POPs Networks. That POPs network is starting to get a bit complex .

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
154 posts
Hey MatrixNAN

:?

Im really sorry i didnt get to ur message sooner,

Ive been away for a week thats why my mailbox is full.

So please send it again, i would love to see how ur scene is lookin.

I'll check it on monday when im officially back.

chat to u soon

all the best

aracid
154 posts
Hey MatrixNAN

:?

Im really sorry i didnt get to ur message sooner,

Ive been away for a week thats why my mailbox is full.

So please send it again, i would love to see how ur scene is lookin.

I'll check it on monday when im officially back,
and if my week isnt too busy, im gonna push for something.

sorry once again
and chat to u soon

all the best

aracid
405 posts
Hey Guys,

I think I am going to have to pull out of the Avalanche FX contest like pretty much everyone else did. I didn't end up having time this weekend because I was handed a contract and then on top of that the rendering times for the simulation were getting out of hand. So I will try to finish it up later. Also I just signed up for doing an Independant study in animation for character rigging with a full muscle bone system so I will have to see how that goes.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
  • Quick Links