get pyro color from particles

5552   3   1
7 posts
Hi everyone

I`ve got a scene which I am emitting smoke from a particle burst , I was wondering is there any way to make the pyro sim inherit the color of each particle?
I have assigned a random color on each particle and I am trying to figure out a way to make the pyro sim emit the color of the particle that its being emitted from,

I followed this this thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=118017&sid=a13123677f0c1d2824ca073068dd2c5f [sidefx.com]

and tried to exactly replicate one of the example scenes (utilizing “SOP Vector Field” and “Gas Advect Field” ) but at the end my final pyro sim is white both in render and in viewport,

I have attached the hip file that I am working on,

I would appreciate any help

Also alternatively is there any way of transferring the point colors onto volumes? since I was thinking that maybe one solution could be caching the pyro sim and transferring the particle colors onto it afterwards, but it seems like there in no default way of transferring points color onto volumes,

Regards

Sina

Attachments:
get_pyro_color_from_particles.hipnc (794.8 KB)

373 posts
Funny, I was just helping somebody last night with this. You should create a volume from advected points post Sim. You can do that with advect by volumes pop. Then Create a vector volume called Cd from your points by using attribfromvolume or vdb from particles and merge it, so you have density, vel, and Cd volumes. You can use Cd for color in the shader. You can also do a PC lookup to get the point colors in the shader at endertime, but I prefer to use a volume in sops.

P.s. on a tablet at he moment, can't post a file till later.
Ian Farnsworth
7 posts
Thanks Solitude

I got a working solution from another forum that I posted my problem in, but your suggestion could be another way of doing that,

I had read about querying Cd via shader, after making the Cd volume, but I never tried it myself,

Would be great if you can post a file as well when ever you get chance,

Thanks again

Sina
2 posts
Solitude
Funny, I was just helping somebody last night with this. You should create a volume from advected points post Sim. You can do that with advect by volumes pop. Then Create a vector volume called Cd from your points by using attribfromvolume or vdb from particles and merge it, so you have density, vel, and Cd volumes. You can use Cd for color in the shader. You can also do a PC lookup to get the point colors in the shader at endertime, but I prefer to use a volume in sops.

P.s. on a tablet at he moment, can't post a file till later.

Can you share a scene to study it?
  • Quick Links