How to randomize between parameters (digital asset)

4619   5   0
3 posts
Hello,

Currently I am creating a Digital Tool in Houdini, containing a procedural generated watch. I have set different parameters (to the Digital Asset) to adjust specific areas of the watch, which all works fine. However, I can't figure out how to randomize all these parameters at ones with a single float…

Is it even possible…? I really appreciate your help!

All the best, Tim
7734 posts
I think it's easiest to have 2 modes then. One where you let the user specify the parameters, another where the channel references to the top level use your single float as a seed value. So the expressions referencing the top-level parameters will look something like this:

if(ch(“../auto”), fit01(rand(ch(“../seed”)*<parm1_id>),<MIN>,<MAX>),ch(“../user_parm1”))

where:
- “../user_parm1” is the actual top-level parameter
- <parm1_id> is some number that is different for every parameter. It's probably a good idea to use a fractional number for your id as well here.
- <MIN> and <MAX> is the appropriate range of values for your parameter. The fit01 is to make sure you get appropriate random numbers.
3 posts
Thank you Edward for your quick response!

I think I understand what your expression is meant to do (just beginning to learn Houdini…). However, I can't seem to get it working in my project.

I added a Copy SOP with a Sort SOP as random input (Seed). In my Copy SOP I added a Variable with the Expression you gave me:

if(ch("../auto“), fit01(rand(ch(”../seed")*<randomizer_id>),<MIN>,<MAX>),ch("../randomizer"))

In bold the strings I need to adjust for my project???

unfortunately I can't quite figure out where: (ch(“../auto”) stands for…

Anyhow, enclosed my procedural watch thus far… Maybe it can help?

Again, Thanks for the help! Much appreciated

Attachments:
Tim_ProceduralWatch.hip (1.5 MB)

7734 posts
Yes, you need to adjust pretty much everything. The “../auto” part I just meant to use it to reference the parameter you're using to control whether it should do the randomization or not.
3 posts
Finally got it to work to randomize between parameters:

if(ch(“../random”), > 0, fit01(rand($F), 0, 1), ch(“../rectangular”))

I now use a ‘toggle’; if(ch(“../random”), > 0 to go into “randomizer mode”. By sliding the timeline; fit01(rand($F), 0, 1), it randomizes between 0 and 1, else (when toggle is off), it uses ch(“../rectangular”).

Thanks again Edward, couldn't done it without your help !
268 posts
This might be useful.. the randomize slider shuffles randomly bunch of parms.. have a look at the callback script for it..

http://www.orbolt.com/asset/SideFX::spaceship [orbolt.com]
  • Quick Links