Graphic card suggestions for H14

2078   4   1
36 posts
Hi,

It seems that my ATI Radeon 7850 has a lot of issues with H14. After having reported many of my crash logs, I was told that I need to change my graphics card.

That being said, what are your suggestions on video cards? I'm still a student so I won't spend over 350$.

Let me know!

Thanks!

Max
スタッフ
635 posts
This may be too general an answer for you, but it's a start:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2680&Itemid=390 [sidefx.com]

Cristin
4189 posts
The Gtx970 is meant to be great - the one issue that has cropped on the web up is the last .5 Gb of it's memory is not so good but as long as you keep everything within 3.5Gb you'll be sweet.
1630 posts
Interestingly, I found choice of brand a lot more important than the actual potency of the cards. We run Quadro 4000 (from ancient history), Quadro K4000 (slightly less, but still ancient) and some unfortunate people like myself run on dead cheap 4GB Geforce 760 (all on Linux)..

All work relatively well, with the occasional hickup, due to f***ed up drivers. I find that before choking on the graphics card something else chokes while doing typical houdini workflows - so you might be well off with the largest consumer nvidia you can stuff into your budget.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
65 posts
Having worked a couple of years designing boxes for CAD and 3D use, I learned to keep to Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, it's just less hassle. And I have nothing against AMD for gaming, I run AMD in my 15yo's gaming box, but for graphics it's just asking for trouble.

And I've had GTX 580 up until a few weeks ago, switching to a GTX 970 and I can absolutely recommend this card, twice the speed of my GTX 580 at half the energy consumption - and as it runs pretty cool, it's also pretty silent.
~ Messing about with pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years [vimeo.com] ~
  • Quick Links