Viewport and selection going crazy

3212   2   2
59 posts
Hi there,

most likely I'll submit a bug, but first I wanted to check if this is happening to somebody else too.

First issue: I left Houdini open, switched to other apps (3ds Max and others). When I did switch back to Houdini, pressing the ALT key made the viewport went crazy: it keeps spinning as in a vertigo effect movie from the sixties.

Second issue: I find selecting in Houdini something that really needs some love, in fact it can gets quite frustrating but perhaps it's just me and I didn't get it yet.
Let's say I want to move an object in the scene. I select the object and I press T, the gizmo does not appear. Then I try selecting the object from within the Network View and I press T again, or simply the move icon, still nothing, the gizmo is not there. I select from the Tree View, no luck and when I try to just select the object within the viewport not only I can't select it, it actually happens that I also move it (but the gizmo is not there yet!). This is quite frustrating. Most of the time I end up adjusting position or rotation tweaking the transform parameters, which is not exactly what I need.

Am I missing something in the correct workflow here, or is actually Houdini that lacks some basic responsiveness?

If it's the latter, I'll definitely submit a bug.

As a side note, the “moving by accident” effect happens only when I use the tablet, with the mouse that works (but the gizmo issue is still there).

Thanks for any hints.
Edited by - 2015年11月26日 20:04:26
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
51 posts
Hi
About vertigo effect I'm not sure, mine does it too. You can go back to home by pressing space + g or extremely by creating a new scene view.

About selecting and transformation, you should know that only nodes with transform parameters can be moved by a handle. for example when you select a transform sop, by pressing Enter in view-port couple of times you access to handles, but when you are selecting a point sop there's no transform parameter in there, so you doesn't have the handles. and when you select an object in scene by dragging and press T you just add an edit sop which has transform on it but this isn't a good way for transforming whole object.
2 x Xeon E5-2670 - 64 GB DDR3 RAM - Nvidia GTX 960 - Win 10 64x
1743 posts
verysame
First issue: I left Houdini open, switched to other apps (3ds Max and others). When I did switch back to Houdini, pressing the ALT key made the viewport went crazy: it keeps spinning as in a vertigo effect movie from the sixties.
Please submit a bug for this with details on exactly what keyboard or mouse operations you do before leaving Houdini and after getting back to Houdini. I've hit it once, and someone else here hit it once, but we couldn't remember enough of what we'd done to reproduce it, so any steps that help reproduce the bug would be awesome.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links