Pyro adding detail and sometimes simulation issues

3780   2   1
96 posts
Hi,

I've been enjoying working with the billowy smoke setup with the pyro solver to make some interesting shapes for nebulas. I'm using a source object to get the basic shape and then just simming under 5 frames to get a few interesting shapes, which I can save to disk and load into my lighting file as a bgeo. I really like this workflow, but I am not sure how to bring out more detail in the end results. I have tried different shaders, and some can add bits of noise, and others adjust the color, but I find using colored lights (RGB) and compositing seems an easier way to refine the color.

Any thoughts on how I can make the look less soft? Sometimes when I sim at lower division settings for the pyro it does not seem to update or it takes far too long and seems to take over the machine. The 0.03 setting is fast and gives a pretty good result, but it looks soft, or blurred. I want to increase that sharpness and detail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Adnan

Attachments:
nebA_v03.zip (475.9 KB)

62 posts
Try the cloud noise sop.
Or you could multiply the density with a ramp parameter in a volume vop.
You will need to convert to vdb before you use cloud noise, but this is a good thing
VDB is soo much faster.
Good luck
G
96 posts
Thanks for the reply Gerbrand. Do I use these nodes on the file import bgeo node or on the file with the pyro solver (and if so, where?).

I could not add it to the pyro solver, but the import node in my sim file allowed me to add it, but it takes a long time to process and locks up my machine. Similarly, I added convert to VDB in the HIP file with just the file node with a single frame bgeo of the volume and it started processing for a long time and locked up the machine.

Any thoughts on where to use these nodes? Also, can I get Houdini to not use all processors. I am able to do that for mantra, but I don't see an option for that in the Houdini preferences.
  • Quick Links