Particles to Smoke ?

11652   10   1
767 posts
How do you turn particles into smoke ?

I've watched a few Houdini tutorials; maybe I haven't watched the right ones In any case the steps to get smoke from particles would be appreciated.
【T】【C】【S】
337 posts
Are you trying to emit pyro smoke from particles, or affect your pyro sim with particles? Both are very straightforward. You'll need to feed your particles into a Fluid Source sop and reference that as your source volume in the pyro DOP, the shelf tools do this by default.
767 posts
I want to emit pyro smoke from particles, what would need to be fed into my POP network to get this to work, omitting the use of shelf tools ?
【T】【C】【S】
337 posts
Example enclosed, this is a simple set up skipping the shelf tools so you'll have to add your own dop imports for rendering

Attachments:
pyro_from_pops.hip (711.2 KB)

767 posts
Thanks !

I'm using an AutoDopNetwork I noticed you're using the pyrosolver which I tried to add to my AutoDopNetwork without much success; I'm guessing I have to manually attach more then then simply pyroSolver node to the network that is where even when looking at the network in your scene where I have problems.
【T】【C】【S】
337 posts
You'll need at the very least the pyrosolver, a smoke object, and a source volume in your DOP network just like in the example .hip
767 posts
Source Volume goes into the first port of the pyrosolver, the smokeObject goes into the second port of the pyrolsolver. I attempted connecting the popobject into the third port of the pyrosolver then the pyrosolver into the popsolver the network wouldn't evaluate ?
【T】【C】【S】
337 posts
I included a sample setup in the file I posted, it'll be much easier to just take a look at that
767 posts
I'm trying to translate your scene to POPS network.

【T】【C】【S】
337 posts
I see what's going on. You're running the shelf tools and you're trying to wire the pyro solver into the same DOP network. If you're only trying to emit fluid from your particles I would recommend setting it up the way I did in the file I posted, with a dopnet at the object level for pyro, and a popnet inside an object context for your source fluid. If you're set on doing it all inside one dop network, run one of the particle shelf tools and then a pyro shelf tool it'll wire everything together correctly and you can either modify that or reference it to build your own manually
767 posts
I got it working the method to which I wanted, I thought I could wire it the pyro tools without using the shelf tools; thanks for the help moogtastic

Although, playback is similar to a stair step effect any ideas or where you can point me to speed this up ?

And what is the blue and green circle which which contains horizontal lines ?
【T】【C】【S】
  • Quick Links