PC for Houdini and 5000 euros max.

12422   22   4
72 posts
What are people's thoughts on the Ryzen 8 core processor over the faster intel 7700K? The reviews show the 7700k as a better performer per MHz on single core apps and on top of that it also achieves higher MHz overclocked. Where in Houdini do you most effectively see the advantage of a higher clock speed?
Edited by Sneil - 2017年3月5日 22:01:08
4189 posts
Sneil
. Where in Houdini do you most effectively see the advantage of a higher clock speed?

Everywhere. Single thread speed affects the UI, therefore your whole user experience with Houdini.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - 2017年3月5日 23:56:42
2042 posts
Where in Houdini do you most effectively see the advantage of a higher clock speed?

For an independent artist just wanting to make some good animation that doesn't need to oblige to a deadline.

No where.

If my cooks times for x frames takes 60 seconds on one processor while only 45 seconds on a faster one…well it's still 45 seconds I'm sitting there. 15 seconds isn't going to make a difference much as to being helpfull or not.

However, if technology was at the point where I'm looking at 10 seconds vs. 0.5 seconds…then we would be talking…because now I have a system whereby such quick ‘turnaround’ gives me a creative ‘flow’ in that I am able to make many iterations of variances in my settings and see the results.

We're just not there yet.

However, if I were to choose the chip that gives me 45 seconds yet because of the higher cost limited me to how much memory I could afford and my cooks are crashing because of low memory…then those 45 seconds turn into 2 minutes because I have to restart the program and open the file again.

The only way to know for sure…is have both systems side by side and compare for the type of work your going to be doing most of the time…

…but then you've just bought two systems…..maybe you can get a refund on compassionate grounds.
  • Quick Links