Is it possible to create this effect without a attribute wrangle?

2110   1   1
4 posts
Hey,

im new to houdini and im watching a lot of tutorials right now and im wondering if its possible to create this effect without any coding knowledge.
Here´s the effect im talking about:

Thanks
1743 posts
You could use VOPs in an Attribute VOP SOP, instead, though the VOPs pretty much directly correspond with the VEX code. Many people find working with VOPs much easier than working directly with VEX, though myself, I find working with VEX directly easier. Either way, there's a bit of a learning curve.

I can think of at least one way to do it without VEX/VOPs, though it'd be quite a bit slower, and may be more fiddly to get it right. You could do a For-Each Loop Block over all of the points, then based on the infect value of the current point, Group the other points by bounding sphere, then Group Combine that group into an accumulating group. After the loop, Color the group red. It's a bit complicated to set up the loop, since it has to be in feedback mode, but with the number of iterations being the number of points, and you'd have to explicitly delete all but the point whose number is the iteration number.

In Houdini, there are always a bunch of different ways to do something. Some ways are usually easier than others.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links