textport not showing prompt

8139   9   1
412 posts
This is on Suse 10, H8.0.422, 32bit, gcc3.4

If i switch any pane in to a textport, i get no prompt.

If i pop open a textport (ala alt-T), i get a prompt, but as soon as i enter the first command, it's gone.

Maybe this is a linux thing but i was used to seeing it there in windows.. Is it a bug? Feature? Prefs anywhere?
Dave Quirus
4140 posts
Just sounds like something is wiping your “prompt” setting(default is ‘`strcat(oppwf(), “ -> ”)`’). Hunt down and make sure you have no 123.cmd files anywhere in your HOUDINI_PATH. AFAIK 123.cmd doesn't append the standard houdini settings, it overrides it(so you'd want to copy the original from the $HFS structure and alter it).

Running on SUSE 10 here, doesn't happen for us.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4262 posts
JColdrick who never has any problems with Houdini
Running on SUSE 10 here, doesn't happen for us.

Speak for yourself

I get the same thing if I start Houdini through a Shortcut in KDE, (non KDE application)

You can simulate this by doing this in a shell

$HFS/bin/houdini & exit
It will start Houdini and kill the shell….when ever you do this it also kills the prompt in the textport….why? I have no idea
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
412 posts
ahh.. that's it.. thank you wolfwood. That's exactly what i'm doing. I have houdini bound to ctrl-alt-h in kde so i can just launch it right away.. but if i go to the terminal and run it from there, everything's fine..

very odd.. anyone wanna take a stab at why this is happening and even better, how to fix it (if possible)?
Dave Quirus
387 posts
If you made it a button in your KDE Panel, then there's an option there for it to run in a terminal (Select Preferences, via RMB on the panel button).

b.
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
4140 posts
Oh you sad, sad, little GUI people, you…

Weird - I've left already, but I'll look at this tomorrow(being a shell guy myself), but do you get the same thing if you start Houdini in a shell, then close the shell while it's up? Odd.

As far as a workaround, I do know KDE used to have the option to run in a terminal - that should fix it, but of course you won't like the clutter.
hehe Ben beat me to it.

I do see it as something worth fixing, but I'd also point out I've found many useful diagnostic messages show up in the startup shell. I couldn't do without it.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4262 posts
Further silliness,

If you do
houdini & exit
The prompt goes bye bye…..

But if you do a
houdini && exit
The prompt is happy.

Or if you do
houdini -foreground & exit
The prompt is happy. (you can use this if you don't want to run Houdini through KDE in terminal mode.)

So basically if the shell closes before Houdini returns an exit status the textport prompt breaks.

I wonder what else goes bad?
Edited by - 2005年11月18日 09:01:35
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
スタッフ
1449 posts
bug submitted.
412 posts
If you made it a button in your KDE Panel, then there's an option there for it to run in a terminal

yup, that's good enough for me.. thanks ben. 8)

Oh you sad, sad, little GUI people, you…

hey now, i just like my hotkeys. i never said anything about a gui.

do you get the same thing if you start Houdini in a shell, then close the shell while it's up?

Nope. as long as the shell only exits after houdini loads, it's fine..

but of course you won't like the clutter.
actually, telling the link to run in the terminal closes the terminal after the app loads.. so no worries about clutter..

So basically if the shell closes before Houdini returns an exit status the textport prompt breaks.

Yup. :roll:
Dave Quirus
109 posts
Thought I bump this thread once, just to say that the behaviour is still the same in houdini 8.1.619.

Nitpicking, I know.

• Quick Links