Explode an Astertoid Outwards with Energy!!!

3110   6   0
16 posts
Hi There,

I have an asteroid FBX object that I converted to polygons that gets hit by a beam of light from the sky, at which point it energizes and explodes outwards with energy.

I have done multiple directed fractures using voronoi and I converted the asteroid object to RBD fractures with packed prims.

I want it to explode outwards with force. Do I have to compute velocity for the original asteroid object using a trail sop. Or do I add velocity to the original object using a vop sop?

Also, I have to create an energy ball that explodes outwards too. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Can someone please make an example scene file? I would be very grateful.

Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
Shiv
2566 posts
One quick way to do an explosion outwards is to drop down an ExplodedView right after your fracture. Then you can just animate the amount to cause the pieces to move outward, no simulation needed.

Asking for an energy ball is kind of like going to a restaurant and asking for food. Give me food.

You may want to do a search using the term “shockwave”. There are a few examples on exploding centers that then emit outwards.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
16 posts
Enivob
One quick way to do an explosion outwards is to drop down an ExplodedView right after your fracture. Then you can just animate the amount to cause the pieces to move outward, no simulation needed.

Asking for an energy ball is kind of like going to a restaurant and asking for food. Give me food.

You may want to do a search using the term “shockwave”. There are a few examples on exploding centers that then emit outwards.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I greatly appreciate it!

I was not asking for an energy ball. Just wanted somebody to point me in the right direction.

Here is my progress on the asteroid attached as a HIP file. As you can see I am not asking for food in a restaurant.

Anyways, I have created multiple directed fractures using Voronoi and converted the asteroid to an RBD fractured object.

I just have to have them explode outwards. I do have an exploded view node.

Regards,
Shiv

—-

Attachments:
sd_crystalDestruction_v003.hiplc (2.2 MB)

434 posts
You could either apply you v in SOPs and bring into DOPs or you could apply different POP forces to get what you want for example POPAxisforce.

Is something like this what you are looking for?

Attachments:
lalanms.gif (585.9 KB)

16 posts
sepu
You could either apply you v in SOPs and bring into DOPs or you could apply different POP forces to get what you want for example POPAxisforce.

Is something like this what you are looking for?

Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for. Please could you share the scene file? Using my scene file as an example would be a bonus.

I greatly appreciate it!
Edited by Shiv Dholakia - 2017年7月14日 18:52:37
434 posts
Here you go.

Attachments:
sd_crystalDestruction_v003_FIX.hiplc (2.2 MB)

16 posts
sepu
Here you go.

Thanks a lot, I greatly appreciate it!

So you basically added a pop axis force. I was trying to add velocities at the SOP level using a trail sop and vop sop but for some reason they weren't working.
  • Quick Links