Apply modifiers to specific geometry

1592   2   2
1 posts
Hi All

I am new to Houdini and I am trying to work out how to apply modifiers to specific geometry. For example I want to apply a bevel to some specific edges. I cannot seem to find the right node to put before the bevel to do this. Could someone help me please?
1743 posts
You can use a Group Create node to create a named edge group, or you can select the edges directly for the PolyBevel node.

On PolyBevel, there's a Group parameter; it has a group select button to the right of it. If you click that button, you can select primitives, points, or edges in the viewport. I think the default is primitives, but with the mouse in the viewport, you can press 2 to switch to selecting points or 3 to switch to selecting edges, (or 4 to switch back to primitives). Press Enter when you're done selecting.

That's my favourite approach, but I know that most people greatly prefer to select first, so before putting down PolyBevel, you can enter select mode in the viewport by pressing S, then select what you'd like to bevel, and then (with the mouse still in the viewport) press Tab, then type PolyBevel, Enter.

You can create a named group in either way, too, just using the Group Create node, instead of PolyBevel, and then you can refer to the group by name, downstream.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
スタッフ
1182 posts
If you already put the polybevel node in the network editor then set the display flag on polybevel then press ` to invoke a reselect - this will let you interactively make a selection in the viewport. As mentioned press 3 to access edges. After you finish selecting then press enter.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links