How are y'all managing with the quarantine?

4342   10   2
1755 posts
On the plus side, our industry is well adapted to working remotely. Big studios for which the on-site presence is merely a product of their ip protection concerns (paranoia or justified) will have now no choice but to reconsider.

On the minus-side, most people's buying power will plummet soon and as such, their resources will be spent on water and bread, not so much on circus.

I'm wondering what experience or concerns you have thus far, if any, regardless of your position, be it, a freelancer, a small studio employee or a big studio cog.
4189 posts
SideFx are all working from home.

Studios are going remote and freelancers are not getting their next contracts.
10 posts
I can see a lot more people signing up to streaming services like DisneyPlus - maybe there will be sufficient demand for content to fill in some of the gaps opening up in production - would have to all be full animation though!

With all filming shuttering, am a little worried about june/july onwards.
2038 posts
Toilet paper and virus meme animations might be a hit on social media.
833 posts
It's business as usual for me since I work from home, but I'm bracing for a real slowdown in a month or two when I would have been hired to work on projects that would have been shooting right now. Every production here in LA has been halted, which means even when things get back to normal, it'll be a few months after that before work trickles back.

Aside from that, I'm using the extra time to watch tutorials and finally learn Blender (or as the Blender Guru calls it “Blendah”).
Edited by Midphase - 2020年3月21日 12:26:02
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
86 posts
Wait…VFX artists were allowed to go outside before the quarantine?
85 posts
MoltenCrazy
Wait…VFX artists were allowed to go outside before the quarantine?
Being VFX artist is sometimes a forced voluntary quarantine, there are memes on Twitter regarding such professions…

However, here is the “invisible enemy” made cleverly visible on Sketchfab:

Coronavirus Covid-19 SARS-Cov-2
[sketchfab.com]

Growing collection of other visualizations [scivfx.wordpress.com]
artstation.com/scivfx
1755 posts
Seems like we're heading to a very rough economic time, if the predictions are to be believed.
Either way, may God, the Universe or any other conceptual model that makes us humble, be neutral towards us. We'll take care of the rest
4189 posts
I would say there will be a boom for more Marvel like entertainment - people want escapism and cgi can provide that. Houdini 18.5+ will be a gold mine for SideFx
62 posts
Long on ideas (and now time) but short on budget? Subsidize your personal rendering projects with GridMarkets Covid-19 Grants. http://bit.ly/2x2Nqut [bit.ly]

MER
4 posts
I work in a small studio and the quarantine actually continues for us.
I’m still working remotely, which I really like because I've managed to spend more time with my family than any other year. I see that there is an increasing demand for content but these days, it's hard to organize production, though they’re starting to open up as far as I can tell. During quarantine, I got by doing animations and editing mostly and I got fair pay thanks to worktime [www.worktime.com] tracking software which recorded my working hours. For the most part, we had orders, ads and promos. I'm looking forward to the end of the pandemic to get down to some more fascinating projects
  • Quick Links