How the heck do you select point of a lattice

1285   2   1
669 posts
Hi

So my students have been doing some of the hive videos. The first one they have done is the “modelling a spaceShip”. They are completely stuck on how to select the points of the lattice. I have never bothered using the lattice before so I thought that they were being silly. I just watched the hive video. And there is no mention of the some of the keys being pressed to either deselect objects or select objects. I have been trying myself for a few hours now. I have googled it, and looked at the help files, which says

Click the transform node in the network editor.

Move the points of the cage in the scene view to deform the shape underneath.

Thats great, but how do you move the points. They are just not select-able.

I have recorded a small chunk of what I am doing with no luck either. Can I recommend that keystrokes are recorded in future Hive presetations, as I am trying to guess what key have been pressed to make the FFD select-able as well. Best Mark

Attachments:
ygafaHZdyO.gif (7.8 MB)

83 posts
Try turning off “Secure Selection”

It's not clear in the video, but you need to select the node that you want to modify. the view flag can still be on the lattice though.
The lattice SOP itself won't let you modify the points. It just takes the rest cage and the deformed cage and does it's thing.

Edited by blackpixel_mv - 2020年6月1日 09:03:07

Attachments:
ss.JPG (10.6 KB)
lattice3.gif (1.4 MB)

Mariusz Wesierski @ Mackevision
669 posts
Hi

Cool. Selecting “lattice_bbox_xform” works, which adds an edit under the node. It just seems what was being selected was hidden in the video.

Note to SideFX. Can you please add a more detailed description into your help file. Also when doing “intos to Houdini” treat people like they have never used your software before. Recording keystrokes is often the best way to do this. And if you are selecting hidden things, either tell the video what you are doing or better still, show what you are selecting.

I know it is really hard going right back to 0 when you show videos but I imagine I am teaching my grandma Houdini ;-)

Best

Mark
  • Quick Links