use material with hou.GeometryDrawable?

1207   3   1
86 posts
I'm setting up a Python Viewport State, and one of the guides I would like to add is a grid with a texture applied (to use as a backplate - and before you ask I'm in LOPs, so I can't just use a background image).

After experimenting around a bit, the only way I could get that to work was to apply my texture as a point color using a vop, which means I had to increase the resolution of my grid in order to get any reasonable level of detail.

Looking at the performance monitor (see attached), the vop applying that texture to the point color takes nearly as much time as it does to render the guide in the viewport.

I was curious, would it be possible to instead apply the texture via material to my geometry? I don't think it's possible, as all the docs seem to indicate it's only reading pure SOP data, but I thought I'd ask…

Attachments:
snapshot3.png (89.7 KB)

スタッフ
422 posts
chendryx
I'm setting up a Python Viewport State, and one of the guides I would like to add is a grid with a texture applied (to use as a backplate - and before you ask I'm in LOPs, so I can't just use a background image).

After experimenting around a bit, the only way I could get that to work was to apply my texture as a point color using a vop, which means I had to increase the resolution of my grid in order to get any reasonable level of detail.

Looking at the performance monitor (see attached), the vop applying that texture to the point color takes nearly as much time as it does to render the guide in the viewport.

I was curious, would it be possible to instead apply the texture via material to my geometry? I don't think it's possible, as all the docs seem to indicate it's only reading pure SOP data, but I thought I'd ask…

Not currently possible but we have an RFE to support it.
86 posts
mabelzile

Would you happen to have that RFE # I could reference?
スタッフ
422 posts
chendryx
mabelzile

Would you happen to have that RFE # I could reference?

RFE #101842
  • Quick Links