Skeletal Mesh LODs FBX

3907   3   0
36 posts
I have rebuilt an FBX export workflow using the lod_hierarchy tool and I have tried to modify it so that I can export Skeletal Mesh LODs, but I cannot get it to recognize the LOD nulls as anything other than additional bones, so it just imports my 3 LODs as separate meshes. Is there a primitive group workflow to get around this, or some other way to setup the objects so that it recognizes them as LODs?
36 posts
I cant find a way to get it to work within the same export like the static mesh.
The only way i have found thus far is to export separate meshes and import the LODs individually in UE. This obviously works, but is a bit tedious and doesnt scale well.
Also with this method you have to name the exported mesh the same at the obj level.

Attachments:
skeletalLOD.JPG (142.5 KB)

36 posts
Since I have only been working with rigid body skeletons, the rig has consisted of a geo chunk parented to a null that has its animated transforms. Because the LOD export system is based on obj level nodes, this simple solution doesnt work. The regular static mesh LOD solution WILL work for skeletal meshes if you are using a more traditional rig with a weighted mesh.
36 posts
Also, it appears that the LODs are brought in according to which order they are wired into the LODGroup null, rather than by the name of the LOD geometry obj. Copying and pasting this setup seems to reverse this order as well, so I have had to unwire and rewire in the correct order several times.
  • Quick Links