Hinge Constraint and DOP

1171   3   1
48 posts
Hi everybody,

Is it possible to have an object rotating around its pivot under the influence of wind or force? like wind turbine or sth?

I have experience in other software where we had hinge constraint. Is that available in Houdini?

Thanks for your attention.
48 posts
Sorry but if I can restate my question as below:

Is it possible to get a rigid body interact with fluids(water, smoke etc)in Houdini? Something like piston?
30 posts
hello
please Put a picture of what you need to make the scene more understandable
8573 posts
fred_98
Is it possible to have an object rotating around its pivot under the influence of wind or force? like wind turbine or sth?
yes, you can use Slider or Cone Twist (but also Hard, Soft) constraint type for example limited to single rotation axis to make it behave like hinge
and constrained RBD will react to forces as long as the hinge axis doesn't go directly through COM

fred_98
Sorry but if I can restate my question as below:

Is it possible to get a rigid body interact with fluids(water, smoke etc)in Houdini? Something like piston?
this is completely different question than the first one

- there is a way to get mutual interaction of fluids with RBD if you use RBD solver instead of Bullet, but then you are limiting yourself in terms of speed and flexibility so it's usually not worth unfortunately

- but for Bullet you can still influence them with any velocity field (from fluids or smoke, ...) using POP Advect By Volumes DOP
Edited by tamte - 2022年6月9日 04:43:28
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links