How to select extrudedSide by excluding the out faces

1114   3   0
8 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to model a house and I used polyExtrude to make the walls. Now I want to selected the extrudedSide group which are facing inside to the home, excluding the outside ones. I thought that I can use something like select by angle feature but I couldn't find anything like this. How do you handle this situation, how would you select these primitives? I attached a screenshot which you can understand what I mean for.

Thanks

Attachments:
ss.jpg (585.7 KB)

236 posts
Hi, I've attached a hip file showing two methods, I expect there are others.

The first method will only work with that particular shape as it uses a bounding box group. The second method relies on doing the extrude after you have the group (so you can use extrude's front/back grouping to intersect with the previous extrudeside).

Rob

Attachments:
Group_Intersect.hiplc (179.3 KB)

8 posts
Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for the methods you showed, the second method seems easier and I'll try to use it. However, it would be perfect if Houdini had some node like grouping by angle, I hope they do in the future.

Thanks,
Hazar
236 posts
Hi Hazar,

Houdini does have grouping by angle. It's on the group sop under Include By Edges where you can set min/max angle. The problem is it won't help with this particular grouping.

This is all assuming you need procedural grouping. If you don't and nothing changes upstream, probably quicker/easier to just select the group manually. (to select loops: left-click poly, hold shift+a, middle-click next poly)

Rob
  • Quick Links