Crowd ragdoll inherit velocity from previous crowd state

1051   2   0
24 posts
Heyo!
Currently doing a crowd setup where the agents are supposed to first be in a crowd state of running, then transition into the ragdoll state and fall over. So far I've been able to make this work without too many issues. However, when the agents fall over they do so more or less in place, they don't seem to carry with them any of the velocity/inertia they had gained when running in the previous state. I've had a look at the attributes and the velocity seems to transition normally and I've also tried to change the "inheritvelocity" attribute to 1 without it seeming to do much for me.

Is there something obvious I am missing or some troubleshooting step I could try to solve this issue?

Thanks for the read
8576 posts
it may be difficult to know without the file

but maybe check out the masterclass even though some things may have changed since h15, but what you are describing should pretty much work out of the box
https://vimeo.com/150917240#t=2290s [vimeo.com]

EDIT: actually the scene from the masterclass video at the marked time is just Ragdoll Run Example from Crowds shelf, so you can just click that button and explore that example in your houdini, seems to work fine in 19.5.534 and ragdolls are inheriting velocity from the run
Edited by tamte - 2023年3月27日 19:32:30
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
24 posts
Ah, thank you for the reply!

The shelf tool did indeed hold the answer! Apparently, I needed to set my running states "RBD Ragdoll" option to "Animated Static" for the ragdoll state to properly inherit the running velocity. I only thought that parameter was meant to configure if the ragdoll would be able to collide with the agents in that state but apparently not!
  • Quick Links