Too many instances created inside of unity

1436   1   1
1 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm a beginner with Houdini, so please forgive me if my question seems simple to some of you. I'm having a performance issue related to the massive number of instances generated using the building generator tool with OpenStreetMap data. Specifically, when I generate a 1 km x 1 km city, I end up with about 500,000 game object instances, which significantly impacts the editor's performance.

I'm wondering if there is a more optimized way to generate a city using OSM data? Or, is it possible to merge all the instances related to a single building into a single game object to improve performance? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The tutorial that I have followed is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_DKhSyelY [www.youtube.com]

Thanks!
7 posts
Hello this is Gulshan Negi
Well, optimizing the performance of a large-scale city scene in Houdini can be challenging, but there are several approaches that can help. Using instancing techniques, LOD, Houdini's Digital Asset (HDA) feature, culling, and simplifying geometry can all contribute to reducing the number of game object instances and improving performance. By implementing some or all of these strategies, you can improve the overall efficiency of your scene and make it easier to work with in the Houdini editor.
Thanks
  • Quick Links