APEX manual rigging geometry missing in animate state

1225   5   2
7 posts
While trying to follow the docs on APEX manual rigging, I can't get the geometry to show up when the APEX scene animate SOP is selected.

Here is the scene view with scene add character selected:

and when in the animate state the geo disappears:

Here is the network:

The pack folder has the correct names that are referenced in the graph:

APEX graph:

Anyone have any ideas why the geo is missing? Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Edited by cmoss - 2023年11月11日 13:20:35

Attachments:
sceneaddcharacter.png (1.3 MB)
sceneanimate.png (1.0 MB)
network.png (51.0 KB)
packfolder.png (49.1 KB)
apexgraph.png (113.2 KB)

7722 posts
There's an outstanding bug discovered very late that the Subnet Outputs node at the every end has to be named "output" where you've currently got it named "__output__1". If that still doesn't work, then please post your hip file.
7 posts
Still no luck. I've attached the file.
Edited by cmoss - 2023年11月11日 18:44:02

Attachments:
manualrigtest.hiplc (172.4 KB)

134 posts
Hi I have made a couple of changes to your file.

you want to use the autorig component node to generate the transform objects for you, so that the
rest positions are set up correctly.

just remember, any changes you make upstream wont update if you manually create the rig

Attachments:
manualrigtest.hiplc (432.3 KB)

1 posts
Hi cmoss, I assume you are trying to rebuild the rig from the APEX graph Houdini Help.
I had a totally different set of problems most of them related to the reference position
workflow willh mentioned. I changed your APEX graph just a bit to make your setup work.

1. the bonedeform takes the shp as the first entry, second is the ref pose of the skel, third deformed skel
2. the names of the inputs of the pointTransform node need to be named after the points there deforming - point_0, point_1 ...

After this two small changes you setup works, which is kind of strange in my understanding (which is limited) we need
to name the parms node inputs like the skel points - point_0_r for rotation of point_0 BUT Your naming t, r, t0, r0 is working !?

Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
manualrigtest_step_02.hiplc (172.8 KB)

7 posts
Thanks willh, but I was trying to figure this out without using any of the autorig components, and manually setting it up. There is a script you can run from the graph "Update Rest Transforms From Skeleton" that will update those rest transforms.

I did figure out what I was doing wrong after looking at the docs a little more closely.

First, I didn't have the subport names of the SetPointTransforms node matching the joint names of the skeleton as they should. They don't automatically get named correctly when you attach them to the TransformObject.

Second, I had incorrect inputs in the bonedeform node. Base.shp needs to go into geoinput0, and base.skel goes to geoinput1. I had them swapped because that's what the image in the docs appears to show:

I think the way these wires lining up vertically make it hard to tell what is plugged into what in the docs.
Edited by cmoss - 2023年11月12日 16:38:00

Attachments:
APEX graphs.png (216.3 KB)

• Quick Links