SOLVED - Motion Blur Issue with Alembics in Karma

877   2   1
27 posts
Hi all,

I have a Solaris scene that I'm populating with alembic animation, including an alembic camera.

Motion blur simply won't work as expected. I've isolated it to the alembics as the scene renders motion blur perfectly (through the alembic camera) with a native LOP sphere that is animated. The shutter and render settings all are behaving as expected.

For some extra context...

1. The objects I am trying to achieve motion blur on are non deforming transforming objects exported from Maya.
  2. Using a timeshift LOP and float frames values I can see subframe positions in the performance.
  3. Ive tried the geo sequence node loading the abc into Solaris directly, SOP import, and Scene Import set to geometry. No luck.
  4. I noticed the LOP sphere did give some frame sampling controls that none of the other nodes did not appear to have.

I'm kind of at a dead end now to work out what is going on. Any suggestions where else to look?

Thanks!

SOLUTION:
Inserted a cache LOP. Needs to go after the camera to produce correct camera based motion blur.
Edited by revilo3d - 2023年11月23日 22:42:41
7812 posts
revilo3d
SOLUTION:
Inserted a cache LOP. Needs to go after the camera to produce correct camera based motion blur.

You shouldn't need a cache lop if you are loading animation in directly, however you will if it's being loaded into sops first. The sublayer or reference nodes can be used to load alembics into LOPs directly.
27 posts
Thanks!

Noted and confirmed (at least for the geo anim). I didn't think to source alembics directly via those nodes I had assumed those are for USD files specifically.

The issue returns though with loading the camera this way. SOP imported and cached alembic camera gives me camera motion blur, sublayered camera from abc does not. The scene im testing this in also has become unstable so think Im going rebuild, and see if a can figure out why loading my camera directly into Solaris is not working.
  • Quick Links