Custom Solver to combine two animated curves

432   4   1
4 posts
Hi everyone.

I am relatively new to houdini and want to create a custom solver that takes two animated curves, calculates one combined curve out of the two.
It should work like in the Curve Intersection SOP Node and use the result of that Node for the next Frame. However the results are not as I expect them to be. Instead of cutting away more and more of the initial curve as the second curve moves into it, they get weirdly combined and part of the initial curve gets deleted.

Can someone explain to me why this occurs and how to fix it?
I want the result of the curve intersect to be used as the new curve that is fed into the curve intersect so that every frame a new change can be made to the old result and so the changes stay as the second curve moves away and is no longer intersecting.

Thank you for every reply.

Expected Cut:

Resulting Cut
Edited by V4PostPro - 2024年3月19日 03:16:01

Attachments:
expectedCut.gif (779.1 KB)
resultingCut.gif (716.0 KB)

679 posts
You need to Post your scene, to give people a chance to help you...

Cheers
CYTE
4 posts
Hi Cyte.

Thanks for the reply. I have attached a recreation of the scene file below.
I'd be very thankful for any kind of help.

Cheers
Jannick

Attachments:
curveSolver.hip (210.5 KB)

679 posts
Ok, I tweaked your setup.
I would use booleans instead of curve intersect as it is more appropriate for this kind of operation. Do the ends part afterward to convert it to a curve. For the movement of the simmed part, you also need to extract the delta transform first. Take a look:

Cheers
CYTE

Attachments:
curveSolver_02.hip (217.3 KB)

4 posts
Thank you so much!
This helped out a ton. We have been stuck on this problem for longer than I would like to admit and were so close to the actual solution.

Have a fantastic day and thank you again.
Jannick
  • Quick Links